Thursday, February 12, 2015

A wise fool

The professor asked: "Does anyone NOT know the answer to this question?" 
I raised my hand. 
I was the only one who did. Everyone else stared; I heard a few snickering. 
I kept my hand straight in the air, and my head held high. The professor sneered and said:"Why do you look so proud to be the only one who doesn't know?" 
I answered: "I am not ashamed to be ignorant because I have the courage to seek knowledge. I pity those who are ignorant and remain so out of shame, and I pray that God may give courage to them. I pray that God bless those who are knowledgeable and give such knowledge to others freely just because they wish others to be knowledgeable too. And most of all, I pray that God forgive those who are knowledgeable, yet they look down upon the ignorant who wish to learn, and take foolish pride in their knowledge."
Silence reigned in the room.
"A fool thinks himself to be wise, but a wise man knows himself to be a fool." -William Shakespeare

No comments:

Post a Comment